Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 11 - Soy Latte

Still out of milk this morning, so no smoothie for breakfast.  Starbucks!  Walking in, I noticed one of the sure signs of autumn approaching: "Pumpkin Spice Lattes are Back."  Mm, hot foamy autumn goodness.  Tip from me, however: do not drink one of these out of the paper cup with plastic lid while using your notebook computer.  I had to ship mine back to Dell because of a related incident in which 20 ounces of the stuff dumped all over my notebook in the middle of class.  Thank goodness for accidental damage protection!

Anyway, I was standing in line contemplating whether I wanted to try a new syrup flavor but thinking that none of the ones I hadn't tried really appealed to my, when the guy ahead of me at the next register ordered a soy latte.  That's it!  Five minutes and one grande decaf soy latte later, I was walking out the door with today's new stuff in my hand.  Mmm, creamy.

Later in the office I nuked a brioche for 20 seconds and enjoyed it spread with mango peach jam.  My cube neighbors were impressed and rather envious.

One of my colleagues brought in a box of italian pastries this morning, which I managed to avoid until mid-afternoon when I went to the kitchen to wash out my jam container.  I made the mistake of peeking in the box, just to see, when I spotted a sfogliatelle - my favorite pastry!  I had to give in and have it.  I believe a short while later I may have appeared as if I had been doing blow in my cube, as the sfogliatelle is covered with powdered sugar, and are very crispy, so that when you bite into them it tends to whip up puffs of powdered sugar into your face.  So worth it, though.  I highly recommend Maria's Pastry in Boston's North End - they ship anywhere in the US!

I have to start thinking of some new things to do in Maine, where we are heading Wednesday night for the long weekend.  First thing I'll do is break with my decaf habit, as we're planning on starting our five hour drive around 7 pm.  We'll see what else comes our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment