Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 10 - Brioche and Sleeping In

Yesterday I noted that my various allergy symptoms were troubling me since I had run out of Allegra.  As I was getting ready for bed, I recalled that there was an old bottle of Benadryl in the medicine cabinet, so I took a couple of those.  This led to my first new thing of today: sleeping in.  Man, that stuff really knocks me out!  But I have to say, my stuffiness was much reduced this morning.  I took two more when I woke up and spent much of the rest of the morning feeling clear but fuzzy.  Julie was nice enough to pick up some non-drowsy stuff at CVS for me today, to tide me over until the Allegra refill arrives in the mail.

Once my brain cleared out the morning Benadryl, I took on my big new thing for the day: brioche!  The recipe for this is just a couple of pages over from the beignet recipe, and it had been on my list of things I should try for just as long.  As if brioche aren't rich enough, I discovered that we didn't have any milk.  We did, however, have plenty of half and half, so that went into the dough.  I contemplated one of the variants, where you hide chocolate or jam on the inside, but decided to go for the simple form first.  There's another option where you can fry up the dough and make little brioche donuts, but that seemed a little over the top.

They came out delicious!  Another item for my, "that wasn't so hard" list.

While the dough was rising or baking, I finally watched Dune, the 1984 version with Kyle MacLachlan and pretty much the rest of the acting world.  Trippy, trippy movie.  I'm glad I waited until the Benadryl wore off before approaching it.  Now I see that David Lynch directed - that really explains everything.  Perhaps I'll read the book sometime.  

2 comments:

  1. i had one for breakfast this morning and i put a little brummel and brown in the middle and heated it up in the microwave...yummmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had mine with mango peach jam from Stonewall Kitchen - yum!

    ReplyDelete