Friday, August 28, 2009

Day 8 - Espresso and Other Folks' New Stuff

Not a huge day today for new things, but I did get in my minimum.  Usually when I go to Starbucks I get a grande decaf nonfat latte.  I actually don't go to Starbucks as much as I used to since now I tend to make smoothies before work each day.  In the past, however, Starbucks was so much a part of my routine that just as with the sushi order, the barista knew what I wanted as soon as I walked in.  For a while I did mix it up a bit and went back and forth between the latte and the London Fog Latte.  One day the barista said I should come up with a hand signal so that as soon as I got out of my car in the parking lot (this was usually very early in the morning, and that Starbucks is at a big box plaza) I could alert them to which beverage I was getting.

But this morning we had no milk or soy milk, and no OJ, therefore no smoothie.  I drove off down my usual back roads I take, and pulled into the Starbucks along the route to get a latte.  Then it occurred to me that I had an opportunity here.  Trouble is, I've tried many of the beverages over the years.  Nonetheless, I perused the beverage board and there it was, the unknown hot foamy froth:  Espresso Truffle.  Since something likely that rich should be enjoyed full bore, I forewent the nonfat and got whole milk.  Crazy, I know!  I did opt to downsize to a tall rather than a grande to balance it out.

Yum.  Rich, hot, foamy, chocolaty goodness.  Just the thing to balance out driving with the car top down on a 59 degree fall-preview morning.  Cool breeze, hot coffee/chocolate and just a little bit further out of my comfort zone.  Felt pretty good.

photo.jpg

In other news, my work walking friend and I were on a midmorning lap around the parking area when she mentioned that since I started the whole new things project, she has found herself trying new things as well, either intentionally or just because it worked out that way.  Often she goes for an hour-long walk in the morning before she gets her daughter ready for the day and herself ready for work, but today for a change the two of them went for a shorter walk to a nearby Panera for a couple of bagels and some morning mother-daughter time.  This is something they do sometimes on a weekend, but never on a work day, and she said it was a nice way to start the day before going to the office.

I encouraged her, as I encourage anyone else reading this, to come here and post comments sharing what new stuff you've tried.  You might give other people some ideas.  Like me - I'm going to need some ideas soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment